What’s new in Ubuntu 11.10 ( Oneric Ocelot )
Oneric Ocelot ( Ubuntu 11.10 ) is scheduled to be launched on October 13, 2011. There are no such major changes in Oneric Ocelot. Instead, it improves on the drastic changes made in Maverick Meerkat ( Ubuntu 11.04 ).
So, What’s new in Oneric Ocelot?
New Login Screen
- BetaGDM is no longer the default login screen for Ubuntu; ( replacing the old GDM Manager )
- Instead, a new login screen called LightDM
- No option of booting into Ubuntu Classic. Default options: Unity and Unity 2D.
What is LightDM ?
- Unity 2D is a desktop enhancement to effortlessly work on hardware platforms that don’t support Unity’s Open GL requirements.
- Unity 2D will run on Compiz instead of Metacity!
- Evolution email client is replaced by Mozilla Thunderbird 7
- Deja Dup is a simple desktop backup tool
- Significant enhancements in Gwibber social network client. It’s more appealing than before
- Comes with pre-installed Mozilla Firefox version 7.0
- has only one botton that opens the entire Dash-no more separate launchers for Unity Places
- “lenses” – tabs within the Dash for searching files and applications
- own window controls , so you can easily maximize it if you want
- slightly transparent, and colors itself according to your background wallpaper
The Ubuntu Software Center
- Ubuntu Software Center 4.1.2 is the default software center
- faster than in Ubuntu 11.04
- larger icons/touch friendly GUI
- easy to browse applications and install
- Synaptic is no longer included with Ubuntu by default. However you can install it from the Software Center.
New Alt + Tab switcher
- looks much prettier than before & more enjoyable to use
- integrates window previews if you have multiple windows open for a specific app
Ubuntu 11.10 will use GNOME 3.1.5.
Even though Ubuntu 11.04 received luke-warm response, Ubuntu Developers have still persisted with the major changes introduced in Ubuntu 11.04 with few improvements on it. The current Ubuntu 11.10 beta version has a few bugs in it and while GNOME 3 still has some issues that need sorting out, this Ubuntu release promises to been an exciting one.It will be interesting to see how the Linux community responds to LightDM replacing GDM, Unity and no synaptic manager.
We are eagerly waiting for the final Ubuntu 11.10 release. Check out thisisthecountdown.com.
2 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
- 40 Basic Linux Command-line Tips and Tricks
- Tips and Tricks for Facebook Chat (Save History/ Video Chat/ Send Files)
- 40 Linux Shell Commands for Beginners
- Creating a Simple GUI for Absolute Beginners (Java Tutorials)
- Online Coding Zones for Programmers
- Special: Facebook Smiley, Special Text Symbols and ASCII Arts
- The First on the World Wide Web